By: Anh-Thu Do
A school anchored in excellence recalls its past while commemorating its sixtieth anniversary.
564 West Crogan Street wasn’t always home to Central Gwinnett High School, but the site, which was once where the Gwinnett County fairgrounds stood, is now proudly known as Black Knight Country. Having turned 60 this year since opening its doors to the public in the fall of 1957, Central Gwinnett has a long and rich history.
This history can be traced all the way back to 1822 when the Georgia Legislature passed an act designating ten acres to be set aside for the establishment of Lawrenceville Academy, which would open January 1st of 1826 and enroll 75 students by 1837. While only a selective group of individuals was allowed to attend this academy, Lawrenceville eventually had its first public school open in the mid 1890s, following public demand for more sources of education as the region’s population began to boom.
A number of public schools would be opened in the following years, including Bethesda High School, Dacula High School, Lawrenceville High School, and Lilburn High School. As time went on and the population of the town shifted, so did the boundary lines for each school’s attendance zone and it was eventually decided that the 4 aforementioned high schools would be combined into one regional school.
The merging of Bethesda High School, represented by red and black, and Lawrenceville High School, represented by white and gold, contributed to the colors used by Central Gwinnett High School today: black and gold.
The incorporation of career academies in 2015 and opening of a Peach State Federal Credit Union branch within the school in 2016 shows that Central, though turning 60, is still very much modern. The school would go on to partner with the city’s local Aurora Theater to provide students with artistic resources, proving once more its mission for staying current and providing students with the utmost opportunities. Throughout all of its changes over the years, Central Gwinnett High School was and continues to be a warm community for education and preparing for the future.